I was inspired to write this draft a few years ago, during a
very emotional and trying time in my life.
On a handful of occasions since I have thought about sharing it
publicly, but until now it has just sat in my desk, ripening, calling me back
from time to time, but in each instance I found a reason not to post it.
However, I recently heard some news from a dear friend that
has moved me to take it out and dust it off, and now my heart is trumping my
head and I want to share it - with the hope it will help and inspire others the
way it has helped and inspired me.
Let me start by telling you about Jim Valvano, a legendary
college basketball coach at North Carolina State University, who, at the age of
47, died of cancer in the prime of his life and career. He gave a speech at the 1993 ESPY Awards in
March. By the end of April he was gone.
Please take a moment to watch this thirty-second clip;
it has the potential to change your life.
Jimmy V, who was born in Corona, Queens, told the world that
each day we should endeavor to do three things: Laugh. Think. Cry.
If you do those three things, he said “that's a full day. That's a heck of a
day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.”
I find that as events overtake us and we occasionally get
glimpses of our own mortality, Jim Valvano’s heartfelt counsel rings more true
than ever before: Laugh. Think. Cry.
So I had this idea and I’m going to run with it. Social media has been amazing tool that has
allowed me to communicate my thoughts, ideas and feelings with thousands of Staten
Islanders. While at times that dialogue has proven to be more than a bit
trying, in many instances - the truly important ones - it has reminded me how
many genuinely good folks there are out there.
So I invite you to join me; let’s see if we can help each
other.
Let’s start Laugh, Think, Cry Fridays (LTCF). I will post to #LTCF each week, and anyone
inclined can post below it their laugh, think or cry moment of the week.
Who knows? It could be cathartic and
maybe together we can push back against the minutiae of life that often derails
us from appreciating what truly matters.
Perhaps it will offer us a measure of solace and support as we each
navigate those daunting hurdles life places in front of each of us, or maybe it
simply will provide us with a moment’s relief and a smile.
Laugh, Think, Cry Fridays. I kind of like that.